Monday, October 18, 2010

Training Plans

Now that I've finished my Wine & Dine Half Marathon I'm moving into off season mode and need to create some new goals for myself. Off season is a great time to work on technique and build speed for triathletes as well as including some strength training. Here's my plan for all three parts of the triathlon.

As for running, I still have a few races I'm considering doing this fall, but the distances will be shorter and I've decided it's time to work on my speed.

Here are a few of the fall races I'm considering:
Canal Connection 10k on 11/7/10

The boy scouts might doing a 5k in my small little town on 11/20


My niece wants to do the Stuff ‘N Puff 5k on 11/27/10

Camo-Man wants to do the Jingle Bell 5k in Peoria 12/4/10

I will probably end up doing them all if possible. As I've said a million times, it's not about going out to win the race. It's about having a deadline and knowing I have to be prepared for race day. These races will definitely help to make sure I'm working on my running up until the very midst of the hectic holiday season. 

Yesterday I ran 4 miles at an average pace of 9:36/mile. My goal by the end of the year is to get my pace:
1st - below 9:30/mile
2nd - to 9/mile

I'm going to check out some interval workouts to increase my speed over the next few months instead of working on the longer distance runs. 

Last night while trolling through Beginner Triathlete, I found an article series by Sara McLarty on Learning how to Swim. Now since I've been doing triathlons for two years, one would think that I already know how to swim; however, because I am cheap and have never taken a swim lesson or hired a swim coach, I still have lots of doubts on my technique. Since we are heading into the off season for triathlons, I thought following this plan would be a good idea for Camo-Man and I as we focus on our swim. The plan starts off relatively easy and the drills make sense to me. No big words which I don't understand! Tonight will be the first night I put the swimming plan into place. 

As for cycling, Tremont Triathlon Team will be offering a group winter cycling program using indoor trainers which will begin November 1st and run for 17 weeks all the way through the end of March. I'm really excited about this program because I know I have lots of room for improvement on the bike. Since you start riding a bike at about age 5, one would think it would be an easy task to master; however, when it comes to triathlon and the difference that even a few seconds can make, a little know how and experience goes a long way. 

I'm still tweeking my schedule and trying to figure out how I'm going to fit it all in. The good thing is that I have lots of options to do this on my own if I can't make it to the group training. I'll be mapping out my workouts for October and November soon and posting them here for everyone to see. I hope you come along with me and make this winter a very ACTIVE winter so you can be the healthiest version of you yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment