Monday, August 31, 2009

Tennis anyone?


You wouldn't think that going for a run on a cool August evening would create such a problem for me; however, it did. Following the Turkey Festival wrap up meeting, I decided to go out for a run. It was 8:30 pm and a cool evening. I put on my Under Armour shirt and spandex along with my running vest and headed out to run.


I decided to run the approximately 3 mile loop around our little town. I was almost 2 miles into my run and thinking to myself, "Wow! I need to run more at night. I feel great!" when BOOM! A few expletives (I won't tell you exactly what they were because they were BAD) came pouring out of my mouth and dove into a barrel road on West Street.


A ROCK! A simple white rock sitting toward the edge of the road had created my painful situation. My ankle turned in an unnatural way. I lay on the road holding my ankle up with tears streaming down my face. I looked up at the house sitting in front of me debating whether I could put weight on my foot or if I needed to crawl up to the Risinger's at 9 pm and scare the crap out of them by ringing their door bell at this late hour on a Sunday night. As I sat there debating what to do, a car turned the corner. Oh my gosh. That's all I need now. To sit here and get hit or even better have someone stop and ask if I needed help. I tried to sit on the gravel pretending I wanted to be sitting there in the dark looking at the stars.


Thoughts of my running career coming to an end because of sprained ankle and a quickly expanding butt made me get up and try to walk. Luckily, I could put weight on the ankle. I got up, walked 2 blocks and then started to run. I finished my run - and considering the fall thought I had a pretty good pace.


It's hard to tell from the pictures, but my left ankle is swollen and feels like a tennis ball. Today it is very sore to the touch. I don't know if sprains are supposed to feel this way, but if I touch it or bump it, tears spring to my eyes. Here's hoping I'll be able to run again in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment