Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Starting to believe

Tonight T3 planned an open water swim out at Lake Windermere although tonight was special. Tonight was the first night for those training for Ironman Louisville to do a long swim....the whole kawhona...2.4 miles.

When I first saw the post on Facebook, my heart skipped a beat. Now it was going to get real. I knew I could do that distance. It was just a matter of time. How long would it take me?

In the spirit of the time trial start at IMLOU, we all swam out to the dock, jumped off and started the 10 laps required to complete 2.4 miles. I was the 3rd person of 5 to jump off the dock. Within seconds, Chris and Ed both passed me. And then I heard Diablo screaming in my ear, "I can't do 2.4 miles. What the hell are you thinking?" Slowly, I pushed the negative thoughts out of my mind and focused on completing one lap at a time.

At lap 5, I actually thought to myself, "I'm feeling pretty good. Halfway done!" By lap 8, I would have sworn my arms were made out of lead. I would have sworn I was taking strokes, but not moving at all! By the final turn of lap 10, I was ready to drive it home and get it done!

According to my Garmin, I finished 2.48 miles in 1 hour, 43 minutes! Considering my predicted time, I was practically giddy!  2 minutes under in a race rehearsal. Wow!

After loading the activity up to Garmin connect, I was anxious to my splits. I was afraid to see a dramatic slow down in the second half of my swim, but again, I was pleasantly surprised.


So while I started the night dreading the 2.4 mile swim, I finished with a sense of accomplishment. A sense of starting to believe that by midnight on August 26th I will actually be able to call myself an Ironman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment