Monday, November 2, 2009

I feel like a runner


For the first time in my life, I feel like a runner. I've never aspired to be a runner before. I've always exercised. I've run from Memphis to Peoria 2 times, from Champaign to Peoria 3 times. I've run for fitness. I've run for volleyball. I've run to chase my kids, but I've never tried to be a runner before.


On Sunday, I became a runner. Why? I ran 5 miles last Friday. After doing the Firm Body Sculpt on Thursday, I was plenty sore, so I took Saturday off. I woke up Sunday morning with a sinus headache. Ugh. I was supposed to run today. How was I supposed to follow my training program today if I could take a step without my head hurting? After church, I came home and took some rest. I flopped on the couch and started transcribing some old obituaries I've had in my file for quite some time. Something easy. Something brainless. Just what I needed. About 3:45 p.m. the need for a nap took over and I laid down for a cat nap. Of course, DH just couldn't stand it and had to ask me a question right then. 10 minutes- the perfect cat nap.


At 4 o'clock, I knew it was do or die time. Run or forget it. I didn't want to be running at Twilight and with yesterday's changing of the clocks I was already pushing my luck. But after a little nudge from my nephew-in-law (Thanks, Mark!), I knew I had to get up and get my run in. I didn't want to throw off my training program and a little sweating would probably help with my sinuses. The training plan for the day......8 miles......a long one.


But once I had my plan centered in my head I knew I would not settle for anything less. I started out on my run....and completed my 8 miles in 1:22, a little slower than a 10 min mile pace, but it was done and my sense of accomplishment was fantastic. For the first time in my life, I felt like a runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment