Thursday, June 24, 2010

Adrenaline Junkie

I finished my last 5k today. At least, my last 5k until the Tremont Triathlon this weekend. It felt good, even if a little lazy. As I was running, I contemplated why I put myself through things like races. I asked my niece, Cheryl, the same question just last weekend the night before our Steamboat 15k.

ME: "Why do we spend $35 for a race when we know we're not going to win?"

CHERYL: with a look of stating the obvious "T-shirt".

As simple as that. But is it? I think it's a little more complicated than that. I mean the t-shirts are nice....sometimes. Some of them are boring and ugly. Cheryl & I have decided that a nice shirt is what makes a great introduction to a race. Some shirts fall flat (uh-uh like the one from a 15k I hapened to run last weekend) while others are pretty nice (honestly, I really do like the Tremont Triathlon shirts). As we were running Steamboat 15k last weekend, I came up with this slogan:

"I'll run faster if you applaud".

Am I being superficial? Maybe. Am I being honest? Yah. Years of performing in junior high, high school and college sports have taught me that having the crowd behind you really makes a difference. I may not be the fastest runner on the course, but I don't want the crowd to think that I am suffering. So, I put on a happy face and keep on running. Oh, and by the way, I chatter through the whole race. When I did my first triathlon last year, I found that having people cheer me on as they whizzed by me really helped. Therefore, I like to bring it full circle and cheer on those I am passing...or at least distract those who are suffering running with me.

The final reason for doing races? I need a goal. A deadline where I absolutely have to be prepared. Because I know if I'm not prepared, I will be miserable. By having the deadline of the Tremont Turkey Festival 5k or the Tremont Triathlon, I kept running, swimming and occasionally biking. I kept putting one foot in front of the other even when I felt overwhelmed with my job, my kids, my husband who left me to go to fishing in Canada for a week. I kept going. Why? Because really, I'm an adrenaline junkie.

No comments:

Post a Comment