Saturday, June 12, 2010

Rejuvenation

Today was the The Turkey Trot, or the 5k race in the Tremont Turkey Festival. I can't believe it's been a month since the Indy half-marathon when it was so incredibly cold. However, I completed my first half marathon in 2:12 which was an amazing feat for me since my goal was 2:30. I may not have won the event but I definitely learned that I have more strength than I would have thought.

Unfortunately, since the half marathon, my workouts have fallen to the wayside as work (60-70 hours/week) have taken over instead. I did complete RPM training on May 15th, but since then.....I think my athlete self has fallen asleep while my business self has taken over. It's so easy to get caught up in our daily lives, the chores, the tasks which need to be completed and ignore the things which are truly a priority in our lives. And that's what I have done. Until today.

The last month has been a whirlwind. Work, chaperon kids, work some more, sleep, wake up, drink caffeine. That was my daily routine. No meal planning. No prepping my lunch. No thought to my workouts.

Oh I did accomplish a few things...like transitioning to the fitness center, opening a pool on May 24th, helping out with a Memorial Day softball tournament, and preparing the park district for the Turkey Festival. BUT now I'm ready for the summer to settle down and for me to focus on the things that are important. My health. My husband. My kids. My church.

As a result, I'm backing to working my plan instead of planning to work.

So, here is my workout plan for the rest of June in my attempt to get ready for the Tremont Triathlon on June 26th.

June 13th - Bike Ride, at least 15 miles
June 14th - 6 am swim, 4 mile run
June 15th - bike ride, 11 am swim
June 16th - 6 am swim, 5 mile run
June 17th - bike ride, 11 am swim
June 18th - 5k run
June 19th - Steamboat (don't know if I'm doing the 4 mi or 9 mi yet)
June 20th - rest
repeat the above schedule for Monday-Thursday and rest on Friday for the triathlon on June 26
June 27th - rest
And repeat the schedule again BUT with a 8 mi run on July 2nd, rest on July 3rd and the Firecracker 5000 on the 4th of July.

It's time to buckle down. It's time to let my business self rest and let my athlete self re-awaken.

No comments:

Post a Comment