Thursday, March 14, 2013

Indy Half Prep

My first "major" race of the summer is now 9 weeks away. May seems so far away and yet time will just fly by and suddenly I'll find myself in Indianapolis running a half marathon!



According to my "Run Less, Run Faster" training plan, my long run needed to be 13 miles. UGH. What a daunting task. Trying to squeeze two back to back hours of running in between teaching classes, catching my daughter at her pitching lessons, the middle school Sock Hop, swimming, and shopping for spring break seemed unlikely. Add in rainy weather and it just complicated things. I mean who wants to run 13 miles in the cold rain - or better yet - 13 miles on the treadmill?

Before the Miles
My longest run since last year's Wine & Dine Half Marathon has been 8 miles. Yep, I'm a slacker. Knowing I had less than two hours between pitching lessons and getting ready to chaperone at the middle school Sock Hop, I decided to hop on the treadmill and get as many miles done as possible. I mean what's a training plan if it can't be modified, right? 

And God bless modern technology. When I do long runs on the treadmill, I have to watch an action film. No romance. No comedy. No "Princess Bride". Only an action film will do. Luckily, Samantha went to the library earlier in the day and checked out 4 movies, one of which included "Man on the Ledge" starring Sam Worthington. Yep, bodda bing bodda boom. Nothing wrong with staring at Sam for an hour and 45 minutes. 

Proof that I got it done!
As the miles rolled off, it became apparent 13 miles was not going to happen. I had to be off the treadmill by 5 pm to get ready for the Sock Hop. I made it through 10 miles at my half marathon pace + 30 seconds per miles. Nice, easy, relaxed....long and boring run. 

After the miles, cheeks are flushed by headband still in place. 
Oh sweet momma! It felt great to get the 10 miles done even though it was on the treadmill. In the end it was all worth it. My new Iron Goddess Bondi Band stayed in place. It absorbed all of my lovely sweat. Mmmm, there's a fine thought. And my legs felt pretty good.

Time to get ready for the Sock Hop.

Now I don't know what I was thinking, but I guess I thought I was actually going to do the "Mom" thing and sit on the sidelines and watch all of the kids dance their little hearts out. Within 2 minutes of getting there, one of the little girls pulled me out on the dance floor. Unfortunately, this did not sit well with Abby who wanted nothing to do with her momma shaking her thing. HEY! I am a Zumba instructor, you know? I can still dance.

Good Slow Dance Choice
At the end of the sock hop, the DJ finally gave into the request for a slow dance song. I held my breath. Oh please don't let these 5th & 6th graders pair up boy/girl.....and luckily, they did not. The girls dance with girls and (I wish I had a picture for future blackmail) the boys danced with boys. Oh my yes! Wouldn't that be a sweet thing to have when some young stud comes around asking my daughter to the high school prom?

After 10 miles on the treadmll and two hours dancing at the sock hop, this lady was tired...and hungry! I wrapped up a long, busy, endorphin filled day at my favorite establishment, Perdue's,  having my favorite meal, the Cajun turkey burger 86 the bun with sweet potato fries. Now THAT was a great way to end a fabulous day.


No comments:

Post a Comment