Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Sand through my fingers

TIME.
It's like sand sifting through my fingers. 

Wasn't it just yesterday that I was in college? Wasn't it just yesterday that I moved to the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago? Wasn't it just yesterday that she was born? 

1996 - Milwaukee, WI
I find myself trapped in some type of strange, psychedelic time warp. I look at these pictures and I remember these moments so clearly. They WERE just yesterday. We found our first house in Tremont on Samantha's 1st birthday.

Pre-school
I think about the day we brought our first family dog, Cocoa, home. A rambunctious little puppy who knocked Samantha over in the driveway and skinned up her cute little nose, knees and the palms of her hands.


Kindergarten

I mean look at those cute curls. I've always said God laughed when He gave me three daughters. I am not a girly mom and my dear Samantha she is a girly girl with beautiful banana rings in her hair. I don't know what to do with that gorgeous hair?!? Yes, He laughs and mocks me daily.

Mother's Day 2003
I think back to Samantha walking into her first grade classroom and telling her teacher, Mrs. Tyra, that her mommy was going to have her baby today in that loud booming voice which came from such a tiny little body.  Always so enthusiastic about life. Always so positive. That is my baby girl.


Senior Night 
But unfortunately, she is no longer my baby. She will be graduating in just a few short months. Next fall, she is setting her sails in a new direction as she moves to Chicago to attend DePaul University. People ask me all of the time if I am worried about her moving away. Well, yes, I am her mother. I will worry, but at the same time she is excited about the new opportunities she will be given in Chicago. I am excited about watching  her move on, grow up, and enter this next phase of her life.

I am blessed. I am blessed to have Samantha as my daughter. I love you, my little baby girl with the beautiful curly hair and the loud voice (which thankfully you have FINALLY grown into). You have grown up to be a beautiful young lady and now I can't wait to watch the rest of your life unfold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment