Tuesday, September 20, 2011

30 Things You May Not Know

Apparently, I missed National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week last week. But I thought this was interesting when I read a couple of blog posts. So I'm going to take a stab at it.


30 THINGS ABOUT MY INVISIBLE ILLNESS YOU MAY NOT KNOW

1. The illness I live with is: Type 2 Diabetes
2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2009
3. But I had symptoms since: I still don't think I have any.
4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: Being aware of carbs.
5. Most people assume: That I did something to cause it....But I've always been a health "nut" with a dose of reality mixed in. It's genes people. Sorry.
6. The hardest part about mornings are: Cringing when I read my blood glucose monitor
7. My favorite medical TV show is: Who watches TV?
8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: My computer
9. The hardest part about nights are: Knowing how much/what to eat before bed so I can have a good reading in the morning
10. Each day I take 2 vitamins.
11. Regarding alternative treatments I: Would be interested in reading, but I'm not going to do anything radical
12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: Hmmm not sure. It all makes me crazy.
13. Regarding working and career:  It causes more stress in my life than it should - therefore affecting my blood sugars.
14. People would be surprised to know: that I'm diabetic. People are always stunned.
15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been:  realizing my disease is progressive and fearing the path on which it will take me
16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: Run a half marathon....now working on new goals
17. The commercials about my illness: frustrate me because I don't fit a stereotype
18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: Just eating or drinking without thought
19. It was really hard to have to give up: the idea that I am a picture of health
20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: reading diabetes blogs
21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: probably not change a thing. I like to eat healthy. It's just hard to do sometimes.
22. My illness has taught me: an deeper awareness of what I'm doing to my body with every decision I make
23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: Type 2 Diabetes is a choice. I'm not obese. I didn't eat myself into oblivion. I am type 2 diabetic due largely to genes.
24. But I love it when people: Are shocked when I tell them I'm diabetic, "You're diabetic?" Yep. That's me.
25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
~ Thomas Edison

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: Have a good cry. Then pick yourself up by the boot straps and move on.
27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: The sad fact that it never goes away.
28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: left me alone. Don't try to talk to me when I'm ill.
29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: I want to be an advocate for diabetes
30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: Like you love me!

No comments:

Post a Comment