Monday, September 19, 2011

I am a good diabetic

I am a good diabetic. So my good doc says.

But what does that mean?

My a1c tends to be 6.4 converting to an average blood sugar of 136. I exercise just about daily.

So why am I frustrated? Because after two years, I am still trying to lose this final 10 lbs. I mean COME ON ALREADY!!!!!  I mean seriously.

But who am I to blame? No one but me. You can't follow a plan for 21 hours of the day. Those three hours....three hours.....in those three hours you can take in a lot of carbs. Believe me. I know. And when are those witching hours?  Between 3 pm and 5 pm & anytime plus or minus one hour on either side of that range.

Finally, I decided I needed something to focus my energies. A reality check so to speak. I listen to a lot of podcasts. Some of them about diabetes, most about health & exercise, some about Disney.

One of my favorites is Dr. Fitness and the Fat Guy. If nothing else, they make me laugh. Dr. Adam Shafran and the Fat Guy, Lee Kantor, use their witty interview skills on many popular guests. One recent guest, Candice P. Rosen, discussed her book, "The Pancreatic Oath" which used blood sugars to identify.  foods which triggered symptoms in PCOS patients. Unfortunately, I was not able to find the book in my local Barnes & Noble store. Instead, I picked up Bob Greene's "The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes." The concepts were similar. Track your food. Test your blood sugar. Log the results.

I started testing my blood sugars almost daily. I tested in the morning. I tested after meals. I tested after exercise. I'm still testing. I'm still learning about how my body reacts to various foods. I'm a work in progress, but I'm no longer frustrated. I'm working toward a goal. A goal of understanding my body and how it functions.

And one day maybe - just maybe - I'll get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment