Monday, September 26, 2011

Somebody just like me

One of the biggest side effects of diabetes is the feeling of isolation. Many diabetics feel as if they are going through this disease process alone. However, with today's online community there is no reason to feel alone. 


Unless you are just like me. 


If I am wrong, shout it out! Let me hear from you. I need to find someone just like me. 


I read tons of blogs. I listen to podcasts. I "LIKE" people on Facebook. But none of them are just like me. 


Why am I so different? 
I'm a Type II Diabetic. 
That's me on the right!

  • Not all that unusual. 230 million people worldwide have diabetes. 95% of those are Type II Diabetics. 
I love to work out. 
  • I have always been someone to work out. Exercise is my release. I love to challenge my body in many different ways. I have a workout library in my basement with DVDs ranging from The Firm to Denise Austin to Kathy Smith to Cathe Friedrich. Three years ago when I was training for my first triathlon, I found out I was diabetic. I was swimming 1000 yards, running 6-9 miles and biking 12 miles a week when I received my discouraging diagnosis.  
Because I work out, I do not fit the typical image of a Type II Diabetic. 
  • My BMI is 25.0 - just outside of the normal weight range. So, yes, I should lose some weight. My goal is 10; My body is not perfect and I constantly fight the battle of the bulge, but I try my best to keep it all in check. 
Why do I want to find someone just like me? Because I want to swap stories. I want to share my successes and failures with other Type II Diabetics. I want to find people who are motivated to feel good about their goals & successes. 

Do you know a Type II Diabetic who works out 5-6 times a week? If so, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment