Wednesday, September 19, 2012

ACSM Personal Training Certification

When I quit my job at the park district last December, the plan was for me to get my personal training certification. However, for the first few weeks months of my Ironman training, any time I sat down to even decide who I should get my certification through, I promptly feel asleep on the couch

As winter turned into spring, I found myself struggling to find available time to study. Between teaching my classes, following my Ironman training and chasing my kids from one activity to the next,  I couldn't imagine studying for my certification let alone figure out which organization I wanted to get my certification through. 
ACSM Study Kit
Now that IMOU is over I finally sat down and made a decision. I ordered the study kit from the American College of Sports Medicine and IT CAME IN THE MAIL TODAY!!!!

Being the planner that I am, I sat down and immediately started looking at my schedule to see how I was going to accomplish this SUCCESSFULLY and QUICKLY. I even read a blog about someone who had passed the ACSM last March. She highly suggested participating in the 3-day workshop once you've read the textbook. The only one they have listed in Illinois for the fall is in Nile, IL from Oct. 26-28. Argh That doesn't leave me a lot of time! The 3-day workshop is 1-9:30 on Friday, 8-5:30 Saturday & 9-4 Sunday. I can definitely see information overload coming my way if I sign up for it. 

However, the workshop is only 5 weeks away....TIME TO CRAM!! That's 4-5 chapters a week. Wowzers. OK. I haven't studied for a written exam in many, many, many years. It's time to whip out the highlighters!

My Fall Schedule
When you lay it out in a visible format, yahhhh. It looks crazy. Especially when you consider I may end up teaching classes at the ICC Cougarplex 2 afternoons a week. (Am I the only one who finds the name Cougarplex ironic? Really? Me at the age of 43 teaching college students. Good thing that's not my scene.) 

So, I have a lot of work to do in the next few weeks. I'm putting out my DO NOT DISTURB sign because it's time to hit the books. 



No comments:

Post a Comment