Sunday, September 30, 2012

IMLOU By the Numbers

With the realization that I need to get back to training, I decided to look at my total mileage for the year. I mean, heck, I did an Ironman. I expect the totals to phenomenal. I mean I was obviously prepared for IMLOU since my day went so incredibly, right?

However, I was shocked when I looked at the numbers. For 2012, so far I have run 508.57 miles, biked 1,751.83 miles, swam 70 miles and spent 2, 755 minutes on the bike trainer. It just didn't seem like much. I have friends who are shooting for running 2,000 miles this year. Why am I only at 508 miles?

Well, first I guess it's a matter of doing a triathlon. I followed the Endurance Nation training plan which emphasized biking and using intensity to get you through the run. My longest training run prior to IMLOU was only 12.75 miles...not even a half marathon!

I guess when you add in the average of 7 group fitness classes a week that I taught it all adds up to improving my health and preparing me for a long, hot, sweaty day in Louisville.

Of course, then when you look at the vast difference in the number of training miles between 2010 to 2012 and you will see a huge difference.

Swim (yds), Bike & Run mileage 
2010 was the first year I trained for events other than sprint triathlons. I did the Indy Half Marathon as well as the Wine & Dine Half Marathon. In 2011, I was working full time (plus) as Director of Programs at the park district as well as teaching Body Pump & Body Flow. You can see a direct correlation between the number of miles I put on the road and the results at the finish line. Ugh. 2011 was a tough year for racing.

Long Distance Uniform & Cutting the IM Wristband 

Let's focus on 2012 though. The majority of my mileage came from biking between May & August as expected. Lots of long, hot hours spent on my Dolce getting to know all of the horrible roads of Central Illinois. Lots of time spent in the water dealing with my Sea Monsters.

With the arrival of our lighter colored long distance T3 uniforms, I knew I'd be ready for August 26th. The months of training. The falls on the bike. The tears. They would all be worth it. For some, the day did not meet their expectations. For me, the expectations were exceeded. So much so that it took me another week before I could face cutting off my Ironman wristband. When my in-laws offered to take us out for dinner to celebrate, I didn't think the blue wristband went well with my outfit. So, with great sadness and trepidation, I finally removed the final last bit of IMLOU memorabilia from my wrist.

Regardless, the goals have been set for the future. I'm finishing out the year with Disney's Wine & Dine Half Marathon. I plan on taking a couple of months off of the bike and pool and then kick it all back into gear after the holidays.  Next year's race calendar is already starting to build as I've already registered for Ironman 70.3 Muncie which will probably be a my "A" race for the year. I'm also going to look for a few adventure races to do in 2013. It's time to expand my horizons and live life to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment