Monday, November 8, 2010

Health Nuts Unite!

According to my 12-year old daughter, Sunshine, her mom is a HEALTH NUT. Since when did regular exercise and trying to eat right make me a nut? Just because I haven't eaten at McDonald's in almost two years doesn't mean I'm the one who has lost her marbles. Hey, I'm no bean pole. I still have a few pounds to lose (10- count them - 10 agonizing pounds!!!!) 


Only 6% of Americans get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. Two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese.  Maybe it's the 2/3 of Americans who are the nuts and not me. 


Obesity Related Statistics in America**

Did you know?
  • Obesity is the #2 cause of preventable death in the United States
  • 60 million Americans, 20 years and older are obese
  • 9 million children and teens ages 6-19 are overweight
  • Being overweight or obese increases the risk of health conditions and diseases including: Breast cancer, Coronary heart disease, Type II diabetes, Sleep apnea, Gallbladder disease, Osteoarthritis, Colon cancer, Hypertension and Stroke
** According to the Get America Fit Foundation


Obesity is the leading cause of higher healthcare costs. Being overweight only makes our wallets skinny. Costs related to obesity represents 9.1% of all medical spending. If you are obese, you can expect to spend 42% more on healthcare than a person of normal weight.  Obese Americans spend about $1,429 more on health care each year than normal-weight Americans. 


I repeatedly hear that it's expensive to eat healthy. BUT at the cost of $1,429 annually for healthcare costs + missed work due to illness + a shortened life span, I think we can afford to eat a little better and exercise a little more. If those costs don't inspire you to get off of your duff, I don't know what will. If two-thirds of all Americans can afford almost $1,500 for health care costs each year, wouldn't that money be better spent on eating healthy foods & a gym membership? 


I'm not saying that losing weight is easy. In American society, it's very hard to lose weight when you are constantly confronted with marketing ads for calorie laden foods on the television, in your magazines and on the radio. But the long term gains are soooo worth the uphill battle. 


Wouldn't two-thirds of Americans love to play outside with their children? Wouldn't two-thirds of Americans love to ride on a roller coaster or in an airplane without worry of being told they are too big for the seat? Exercise releases endorphins into your body which relieves pain, enhances the immune system, reduces stress and delays the aging process. Who doesn't want to stay young?? 


I don't have the answer. If I did, I wouldn't still have 10 pounds to lose. All I can say is go outside or to your local gym and take a walk and keeping walking for 20-30 minutes and then think about how you feel. Write it down. Savor the moment. Because you will need that motivation again tomorrow when I ask you to get up and get moving again. 


For once in your life, Be in the minority. Be better than 94% of all Americans and make exercise a priority in your life. 





1 comment:

  1. I always love to see the excitement of someone with the same passions that I have!! Keep it up, Sunshine knows that you are setting a good example for her!

    ReplyDelete