Monday, November 1, 2010

Certifiable

After a long three day weekend consisting of  nine hours of training each day, I am officially on my way to being a Les Mills Body Flow Instructor. Who would have thought that little ol' me, at the age of 42 nonetheless, would pursue a 3rd, 4th or 5th career as a group fitness instructor?

OK, so maybe it's not such a long shot.

Last May I went for training in RPM. That training didn't go very well. I started day 1 of training with a sinus headache. After taking a decongestant, I sat in the corner of the room staring at the dust balls rather than absorbing anything the trainer said. I don't know why but decongestants really make me loopy. I passed the class, but I can't say that I learned much. To complicate matters, we didn't expand our fitness center as quickly as I was expecting. So I trained on RPM back in May and haven't practiced the tracks once since. I've attended RPM class at another facility, but I have not taken one single step to learn the choreography.

After four months of disappointment, I was really beginning to doubt whether my small fitness center in our quaint little town would ever have Les Mills classes. Until this weekend.

I entered the training with a pessimistic attitude. I left the training in love with a program which I never thought I would truly enjoy. You see I'm a cardio girl. I like to bike and run and even throw in a little swimming here and there. Who has time for all of those fluffy tai chi moves? Yoga? Naw, I'm flexible. I'm strong. I'm quite proud to say that I can still do the splits - on both side even. Strength? I've got that covered. I lift weights 2-3 times per week now that the weather is turning colder. And pilates? Oh H-E-double hockey sticks-NO! I hate ab work more than anything else in the whole world. I love to work my back, but my abs? No, I'd rather stick needles in my eyes.

Until I met FLOW....err, I mean Body Flow. I discovered peace and tranquility while do my Tai Chi. I discovered sweat rolling down my back and chest as I tried to complete the standing strength track. I discovered that I actually do have abdominals and while I still don't love working the dumb things, I felt slimmer and more toned today than I had in a while.

So, while I still have a ton to learn about the "athletic mix of tai chi, yoga and pilates" which is called Body Flow here in the U.S., but Body Balance just about every where else in the world, I am excited to start learning my tracks and get the de-conditioned members of my quaint little town moving toward a balanced and healthy lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment