Sunday, October 17, 2010

Chocolate Latte

I was curious today after talking to a few friends about making a smoothie with high protein. Being diabetic, I obviously can't go crazy on all of the carbs. I found this recipe on Men's Health from the Abs Diet for Chocolate Latte:



The Chocolate Latte (Powerfoods: 4)
1/2 cup 1% chocolate milk
1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1/2 banana
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon finely ground coffee
2 teaspoons chocolate whey protein powder
6 ice cubes
Makes 2 8-ounce servings
Per serving: 171 calories, 10 g protein, 20 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat (2 g saturated), 2 g fiber, 116 mg sodium

It sounded delicious: banana, chocolate and a splash of coffee?? Why not try it? Of course, I had to modify the recipe since I didn't have any bananas. I even searched the deep recesses of my freezer to see if I had a frozen one back there that I had forgotten about, but couldn't find one. So, no bananas. Strike 1. No whey protein powder either. Strike 2. 

But being in an inventive mood, I decided to make my own substitutions. I'm not sure the culinary experts of the world would agree with my choices (Remember that I am no Julie or Julia or even a Liz & Janice), but I had to make due with what I have in my pantry. So, here is my version of the Abs Diet Chocolate Latte.

1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup Oiko's Plain  yogurt
5 dried apricot
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 teaspoon instant coffee
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 sleeve of plain instant oatmeal
1 tablespoon of wheat germ

Makes 2 8-ounce servings

I tried it without the apricots and oatmeal at first, but naturally it was a little runny. The apricots and oatmeal definitely thickened it. The smoothie was surprisingly quite good. I didn't even taste the apricots really. I was afraid it would be an odd mix of peanut butter & apricots. Next time, I will definitely make sure I have bananas on hand because what could be better than peanut butter, chocolate and bananas? Honestly, probably nothing!

I wanted to take a picture, but honestly it doesn't quite look appealing. Honestly, it reminds me of something from when my little princesses where still in diapers. I was worried the smoothie would leave me still feeling like I need to eat something, but to be quite honest my belly is full and satisfied and now it's time to get ready for church. 


No comments:

Post a Comment