Monday, January 21, 2013

Pushing through the exhaustion

This is so me!
I am not a morning person, but let's face it. I am just plain tired.

In the last week, I've taught 15 classes (4 Pump, 5 Zumba and 6 Flow), ran 10 miles, swam 600 yards and rode the trainer twice. Yesterday was the last launch of the month with classes averaging around 30 people. It was exhilerating...and exhausting.

Saturday afternoon on the way to Havana for Abby's basketball games, I slunked into the back seat, put Pandora on an Easy Listening channel and slept for 45 minutes. It really was a little slice of heaven. I could feel the strain of 16 days of continuous of workouts on my body. Working out as much as I do I really do need rest days but with three launches this month it has not happened.

As we rode to swim Sunday morning, my friend, Bruce, said I sounded grumpy. I wasn't grumpy...just maybe feeling a little less positive than normal. Fatigue seems to have pervaded into my bones.

Once in the pool, the water seemed to soothe my tired muscles. After 4 lengths of exhausting kicks, we quickly moved into the heart of the workout alternating between kicks, freestyle, and using pool buoys. When our swim coach, Lisa, said 10 lengths of fast kicks I think she heard me growl at her. I explained that I may whine a little, but I would do it and give it my all...just as I always do. By the end of the 1500 yard workout, I had new muscles screaming at me: my shoulders, lats and hip flexors.

I am counting down the days until Saturday. My first rest day since January 2nd. I think I'm going to plunk my butt on the couch as soon as I wake up in the morning and then not move again until I have to go to Abby's basketball game in the afternoon.

But really...if you asked me to get up and join you for a run or maybe even travel to a new race, I'd do it in a heart beat. That's just the kind of girl I am. I can't seem to say no to a little sweat...or a good challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment