Saturday, January 15, 2011

2011 RACES

I've been thinking, planning and altogether obsessing over my 2011 races. I don't know why. I guess I like to plan, but it's the follow through that presents an issue for me! I love to plan for the races and think about how much fun they are or possibly will be......until race day...when I become filled with dread and almost puke on the starting line!


I shouldn't say that. It's not 100% accurate. I only feel that way at triathlons. At foot races, I know I am slow and it's no big deal. I'm not there to win a spot on the Olympic team. I am there for my own personal journey toward physical fitness, but when it comes to triathlons....Some small part of me actually believes I could....

DROWN


Yep, I think it. I worry about it. I don't BELIEVE it will happen, but that small part of my gray matter that actually considers it a possibility sends an adrenaline rush to the pit of my stomach and makes me want to hurl. Up come the pancakes!


Because I am some sort of masochistic attention monger, I actually said out loud to some invisible person out there, "I want to do a half Ironman distance this year and possibly a full in 2012." WHOOMP! There it is! No sooner had the words come tumbling out of my rather large mouth when some of my other T3 team members pounced!



(The following is an excerpt from our January T3 newsletter)....
RUMORS
A fun section for some gossip I’ve heard the following members commit to training for a new distance this year:.....
Carla Leber – ½ Ironman


Eeeekkk! Oh dear Lord in Heaven what have I done? No one was actually supposed to hear me - let alone pay attention to what I was saying! CRIMINETLY
So.....I guess I'm doing a 70.3 this year. Time to map out my game for the summer. Only problem is finding a half ironman distance late enough in the summer so I have time to build my confidence. A half ironman distance triathlon is a 1.2 mile swim (YES 1.2 MILES!), 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run. Some of the guys from T3 are doing the Pigman Tri


PROS: Because it's not an Ironman Race, it doesn't cost over $200, but only $90 instead. It is in late August and the later the better. The race is in Pleasant Creek State Park just northwest of Cedar Falls, Iowa and who wouldn't want to go to Iowa in August? 


CONS: It's hilly. It's really hilly and I don't do well on hills. And let's face it...it's August - 8/21/11 and bound to be 100 degrees!


So, I don't know. My commitment phobia is rising again. Here is what I do know. I am registered for the following races:




Races I'd like to do:

Other possibilities:
  • Pioneer Sprint Triathlon 4/17/11 - Awfully early in the year!
  • Sullivan Triathlon 5/1/11 - Chickened out last year! Will I do it this year?
  • I'd also like to run a marathon this year, but so far I'm not having much luck there either. I would love to do the Chicago Marathon, but sadly I am supposed to be in Cancun at that time. 
  • Canal Connection 10k 11/6/11 - Happy Anniversary, Honey!
  • Disney World Marathon Weekend 1/8/2012!!!
So these are my hopes and dreams for the next year or so. I'm full of life and ambition right now. We'll see what the next year has to offer. Of course, I need to achieve all of these goals before the world comes to an end in 2012 anyway, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment