Tuesday, July 20, 2010

P90X Kenpo

Direct from Wikipedia:

Kenpō (拳法?) is the name of several martial arts. The word kenpō is a Japanese translation of the Chinese word "quánfǎ. This term is often informally transliterated as "kempo", as a result of applying Traditional Hepburn romanization,[1] but failing to use a macron to indicate the long vowel. The generic nature of the term combined with its widespread, cross-cultural adoption in the martial arts community has led to many divergent definitions.[2]


OK, so it's kickboxing - pretty much - only in Tony Horton style which means you have to do some strange poses and combinations.


At the beginning of the workout, Tony suggested using a heart rate monitor to make sure you are "in the zone". I ran upstairs to grab my heart rate monitor and my computer to download a heart rate calculator and I was ready for my workout. 


I honestly didn't care for the warm-up which consisted of a lot of body weight stretching. I didn't care for it because your weight could make you overstretch if you weren't ready to go to that point. The workout itself wasn't bad. I was able to keep in my heart range, even if it was the lower end. I think it could be higher if I knew what each of names of the moves were and what I was supposed to be doing. Instead, I have to watch the first move or 2 to figure out what to do. Maybe I skipped a beginner's video or something, but that would be my one criticism of P90X. Tony Horton doesn't preview the move before moving right into it. 


Workout is done. Breakfast was a boast of Oatmeal Squares with skim milk. 



I don't know if my 1000 yard swim will get done today. It's supposed to rain throughout the day...and rest of the week.


Now to start my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment