Friday, February 19, 2010

How to keep motivated

First off, let me say that I think your motivation must be internal. It can't be something or someone external to yourself that decides you are really, truly going to make yourself a priority and get healthy. If you aren't convinced you are worth it - and you have to feel it DEEP down inside - you won't make yourself a priority.

So, I thought I'd talk about some of the tools that I use to stay motivated:
WEBSITES

  1. Spark People - Awesome sight full of information on exercise and nutrition. Use it to track your calories and stay on track
  2. Motivation to Move - CMO (Chief Motivational Officer) Scott Smith with his wife, Joi, have created an excellent site to read articles, get recipes and share with a community all of your successes & failures.
PODCASTS
This is one area that I talk about A LOT, but people usually give me this deer in the headlights kind of look. Podcasts are usually free on iTunes and are basically "talk radio". I subscribe to a number of podcasts from genealogy, Harry Potter, a volleyball podcast, Disney and Jane Austen. (I know - what strange mix of interests, but that's me!)

To find podcasts, open Itunes, on the left hand side click on Podcasts and once that opens, click on Podcast Directory on the bottom right of your screen. You can enter any search subject and you will probably find a podcast out there for it.
  1. Motivation to Move Fitness Boost - Scott Smith has recently changed the format of his podcast. It used to be an hour long free podcast. Now, free subscribers only get a once a week 15 minutes podcast, but it's still worth listening to.
  2. The Biggest Loser Fan Podcast - Based on the hit NBC TV show, Cliff Ravenscraft & Father Roderick (yes, a Catholic priest) review the show each week, but talk about the insights they have gathered from the show. 
  3. KFI AM- Sunday - Jillian Michaels is no longer putting out this podcast, but let me tell you IT'S WORTH IT. She breaks down the science of physical fitness as well as the affect of the processed foods in our bodies. Makes you think!
  4. Cooking with the Moms - Listen each week as cookbook authors, dietitians, and busy moms, Janice Newell Bissex and Liz Weiss -- AKA The Meal Makeover Moms -- share their latest fast and healthy recipe creations and mealtime tips, all designed to get families, even the pickiest eaters, back to the table.
BLOGS
Some of the blogs that I read are kind of specific, but I thought I'd share them anyway.
Steve in a Speedo? Gross! - Hilarious and insightful
Fat Cyclist - A man and his bike and his struggle with life after losing his wife to cancer
Fit Yummy Mummy Blog - full of short workout videos
Goals for the Week! - A smart woman who sets weekly goals for various aspects of her life


I actually read many, many more, but those are some of my favorites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment