Thursday, December 31, 2009

ADA recommends A1C for diabetes diagnosis

According to a recent article on WebMD, the American Diabetes Association (ADA) now recommends a simple blood test, known as the A1C test, for diagnosing diabetes. Until recently, the A1C test hadn’t been standardized between labs. Now, a person with an A1C below 5 is considered not at risk for diabetes. People with A1C levels between 5.7 – 6.4 are considered pre-diabetic. Those with A1C levels of 6.5 or higher are considered diabetic.


Happy happy. Joy Joy. In accordance with this recent revelation, my latest A1C result would mean that I am considered pre-diabetic. Never thought I’d be so happy to learn that. Of course, the other category to consider in my diabetes struggle is my BMI. Using a simple BMI calculation, I still have work to do as my BMI is still slightly in the overweight category. I also am an apple shape which means I put additional stress on my vital organs by having my excess weight in my mid-section.

Ugh. Time to reduce my waistline.

No comments:

Post a Comment